Sunday, December 12, 2010

And so begins the seizing of the...well, everything.

"You'll be on your way up!

You'll be seeing great sights!

You'll join the high fliers

who soar to high heights."

Dr. Seuss

So after all of the hardships, I think I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.  This year has, without a doubt, been the most challenging year for me.  And through all of it, it has definitely been hard to keep my head up above the water.  I became a complete pessimist! Winston Churchill said, "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."  At one point in my life I thought like an optimist, acted like an optimist and chose to see the good in every situation.  But sadly, I lost that, every bit of optimism was buried under this miserable pessimistic mentality.  Sure, things could have been worse, they can always be worse.  I felt hopeless and useless and had lost my inspiration.  I couldn't see my life changing any time soon, and it was the most discouraging lump of time I've experienced in quite some time.

But one day, I closed my eyes and lied on my floor and just listened.  I was so still I could hear my heart beating.  Then I thought...what am I doing to make this better?  In order to get different results you have to do something different, right?  So I thought about making a list.  Everyone talks about what they want to do before they "kick the bucket," and this list didn't really fit that time frame, and I'm trying to think more short term and immediate...So I made a "buggy" list (for my northern friends, a "cart" list, but that doesn't sound as fun).  Those that know me know how fitting this is because I'm sort of a shopaholic, and they'll expect to see some sort of shopping therapy on this list.  I'll go ahead and tell you, it's not there, I am a healthy shopper and I do not have a problem...




...So the list...

I turn 25 in February and what better way to make that horrific birthday a lot less focused on single awareness and feeling like an old hag, than to challenge myself to make it the most motivating year of my life!  I have to admit, I've never been one to follow through with goals.  I usually set impossibly high expectations for myself to the point that it can take me years to accomplish what I meant to accomplish in just a few short months.  I've taught myself, though, that everything is a process.  I can't drop 15 pounds in 2 weeks and I can't tell you how many times I've tried to do that.

I'm not sure that this is the "official list", it's a lot harder than I thought it would be, but I want the things I accomplish to be inspiring to me and not just something with no meaning or substantiality.  So here it is, my list of 25 things to do while I'm 25...

#1. Fix my credit
#2. Make a quilt...or two for Quilt for the Kids
#3. Be a better driver (some will like this one the most)
#4. Visit my best friend Nikki and her new baby Ariana :)
#5 Go skydiving
#6. Take a road trip to the Grand Canyon
#7. Sell a song
#8. Start writing a book
#9. Record a demo
#10. Run in a 10k
#11. See DMB and U2 live
#12. Get a tattoo
#13. Grow a garden
#14. Learn how to pick my guitar & mandolin
#15. Get a professional photo shoot done
#16. Go deep sea fishing
#17. Move out of my parents house FOR GOOD ;)
#18. Buy my "dream" car and DON'T WRECK IT!
#19. Go on a cruise with friends
#20. See WICKED for the 3rd time
#21. Go to a winery
#22. Learn how to sail a Sailboat
#23. Become fluent in Spanish and Italian
#24. Volunteer for a local charity
#25. Learn to box

I'm a firm believer in the power of hope, and since I've made this list I've been more than excited to complete it!  Something literally "clicked" inside my head and I saw my possibilities in a completely different light.  I have the power to make my life better or worse and everyday I'm given the choice to see either one of those results.  I have to be determined to make my potential a reality rather than watch it go to waste and end up in a graveyard.  There is no good reason to give up on pursuing life goals, there's no excuse good enough.  Not fear of failure, or rejection, money or even timing.  Nothing can be an excuse for not living up to your full potential...especially because we all deserve to accomplish the goal of living the best life possible.  I challenge all of my family and friends to make a "buggy list" and watch how compelled you become to live the best life possible!

"What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals." -- Zig Ziglar

1 comment:

  1. Hayli....this is very inspiring and encouraging. I love you! Brandi

    ReplyDelete