Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Call me spoiled...


When life gives you lemons...buy your own...

I've always enjoyed taking things that are given to me, but those things have always come with a price.  There are very few things selflessly given and well, I can't think of any at the moment.  If someone smiles, they expect a smile in return.  If someone gives you a ring they expect an "I Do" and much more shortly thereafter.  The thing that most annoys me about taking the lemons life "gives" me is when I take them from someone and they use it as collateral until I have paid them back, if I can, be it with my time, efforts, or money.

I say all this to tell you that I'm trying to be more independent and buy my own lemons from now on.  I'm not saying I won't take a small thing here or there but the big things, like a car for example, I'm going to work very hard to get that lemon (hopefully not literally) on my own.  I think that by doing this, not only will I gain my independence, I'll also gain a sense of appreciation for things because I'll be more aware of where my money is going instead of swiping my card every chance I get.

Being able to stand on my own two feet is not an easy task for me...I've been given a lot in life and usually the only way for me to let go of my parent's hands is when forced.  Like when I moved to Tampa, for example, I had to keep my space clean because I had roommates, do my own laundry, cook my own food, buy my own groceries, even get my own gas.  Yes you're very right, I had it made...but when most, or even a little of that was taken away I was in a state of cultural shock and it didn't sit well with me.  However, through the years, I realize there are steps to growing up.  We learn how to walk on our own and then years later it becomes literal in a whole new way, with bills and responsibilities and hopefully teaching our own children how to walk.

I like buying my own lemons.  No I don't enjoy bills or responsibility, but I like the idea of calling something my own be it an apartment, car, groceries, or laundry detergent and I feel accomplished when I budget my own finances well and get to splurge on myself with a new dress or two and even have money left over.

Life doesn't have to be handed to me, I can take it by the horns myself, add some lemons, and at the end of the day drink my own fresh squeezed, cold glass of lemonade.


No comments:

Post a Comment